Happiness Questionmark

What is happiness? How happy am I? What is the key to happiness?

These are all questions we ask ourselves in life, and definitely some I've been asking myself in the last year. But until I read an article about happiness, I hadn't really focused on it properly. I think it really made me ask myself these questions. In this article, it showed me some very surprising facts that I think are really key an worth knowing, just to keep your mind grounded. We get so caught up with all of the negatives in our lives, making this blog post is me trying to release myself from that and to try to release others from it too. You see, the UK is said to be number 19 in the world happiness report for 2017. Now I didn't even know this was a thing, but apparently it is, even if it does sound ridiculous. Did you know that Norway is the happiest country in the world? Closely followed by Denmark, Iceland and Switzerland. What is also very coincidental is three of these countries are also filled with Snow!! Now I'm not saying snow is the key to happiness because all our problems would be solved if we all moved to snowy places, and then I don't think they would because fitting 7 billion people into 40% of the worlds space when we already have population issues, that wouldn't work at all.

There are these magical people called two percenters where their brains are wired a teeny bit differently to ours. Whether this be their upbringing or their genetics or perhaps just their personality; two percenters are people who exude energy. They are called two percenters because, only 2% of the worlds population are two percenters. That's roughly 140 million people on earth. To put that in perspective it would be around all the people in Japan plus 10 million. On the contrary there are also people called Mood Hoovers who essentially suck up all of the energy around them.

Now lets apply the 90/10 principle. This is 10% of things that happen and 90% of how people deal with it that affects peoples happiness and mood. People will often let things like the wifi not working or something they hold dear to them breaking, ruin their day. The often take that minor detail and magnify it and allow themselves to think on it over and over and allow it to affect their mood and ruin their day. Now, usually it can be multiple things and that last thing that just tips you over the edge into that deep oblivion of unhappiness but if you really think. You still are letting one minor thing ruin your mood because even if lots of things happen that are specifically bad, I don't know about you but I then focus on the thing that tipped me off and obsess over why it happened and how that if it didn't happen, my mood wouldn't have been ruined. But in reality, the only person who can ruin your happiness is yourself. You could argue that a significant other breaking up with you or being cheated on is something that really is bad can ruin your mood but actually it's how YOU react to it yourself that matters.

Now I'm not saying you can make this change over night, because I've been sitting on this information and thoughts for months and I still do the exact same. But I think over time if we apply this mind set to, I don't know, maybe 20% of bad things that happen, slowly we can fully adapt this mind set and become the two percenters ourselves. This is what I think two percenters believe. That perhaps if your significant other does break up with you, then It was for the best, because if they didn't you would be in a dysfunctional relationship. Or they might believe that that is the way fate has happened in their lives. They could also chose to accept what has happened and wonder if they need time to be alone to really get in touch with themselves, maybe they might want to try again with that same person sometime in the future. Maybe what a mood hoover might do is let that break up completely consume their life and ultimately their happiness. A two percenter may let the sadness consume them for the time thy grieve that relationship but ultimately they will begin to see the silver lining and think about the things I just suggested.

I know this may sound absolutely naïve and hypocritical but once you really think about how happy you are, and whether you might be doing something to make yourself unhappy without even knowing. If this sounds like utter madness to you, then thank you for your time. But I really hope this has helped you to evaluate your happiness and how you deal with the circumstances in your day to day lives.

Lots of love as always!!!
Lottie
xxx

Comments

Popular Posts