Is Performing Arts Right For Me???

Hellooo!! wow I feel like I'm a bit of a shambles at the minute. I attempted a post around 5 minutes ago but I didn't plan it at all and it really is a shambles so I've abandoned it and i'll come back to it later. Mean while this one isn't planned and I'm gonna baso write notes as I go so I don't end up waffling. THERE'S JUST SO MUCH TO TELL YOU ALL!!!!!

Ok this post is strictly college based post I'm saving all my squishy feelings for the other one. Lets hope they don't slip through into this one. Right shut up now Lottie and get writing some notes before you carry on. Jesus, I think I'm drowning in happiness. SHUT UP NOW!!!

Right, I've compiled some little thinker notes to help you decide whether this is what you want to do.

  • How well do you like singing, dancing and acting??? Because you'll be doing it everyday darling. It's also extremely important to know that it involves these three components especially as I've seen some boys picking this college course without even looking into what it entails. Usually, people have two strengths and a weakness. For me dancing is my weakness. But what is brilliant is that it doesn't matter. For the college I go to, they focus on your weaknesses so that you become a fully rounded performer. And for me, part of the reason I am not too good at dance is because I am inexperienced and it hasn't piqued my interest that much. Like a lot of girls I know, we chose a course that can cater for the two things we love. For me that's singing and acting, for others its singing and dance or dance and acting. It a bonus we get taught the other one t be honest. And if you love all three then you're in luck!!!

  • Your end goal doesn't have to be performing onstage. The amazing thing about it is that it is so versatile. It teaches the skills of communication , collaboration , patience and ingenuity. I could go on about creativity and maturity and self discipline, there are so many skills this course helps you develop that any other course possibly wont. If you think, a course that means you spend all day in a class room (I am in no way bashing other courses) means that really only you and your teacher are responsible for your end grade. And to an extent for performing arts that is the case too. But every single day, somehow, I work in a group with other people multiple times a day and we are responsible for putting forth ideas, having self discipline to come back to rehearse and to help other students in our collaboration to ensure that we are all working to our best standard. From what I've seen and experienced while being in class rooms everyday, here are so many amazing skills i have learnt even now, being two weeks in.

  • YOUR GCSE'S DON'T MATTER. I stressed and stressed and stressed over my GCSE drama grade which resulted in me having a break down before the exam and failing it. By the help of my course work, I ended up with a C. But that has nothing to do with what level of the course I do, who I work with and how I work. There's one boy who has moved up from the leveltwo course of which he entered that with 2 GCSE's. Now at the end of one year, he has 7 GCSE's and Is working towards his English GCSE. But that has no effect on his brilliant attitude and skills. Yes he has had one year of experience over us but you would never guess what I've just told you if you had met him. I think I can already tell from how hard he works that he will go far. I was adamant that I would feel stupid if I got a "rubbish" grade in drama, but that didn't even factor into my thoughts until right now while I am writing this up. Grades have very little sway into what happens at college. It's like they're important but they aren't at the same time.

  • Don't expect it to be easy breezy. I know some people on my course who didn't expect us to have so much work. And just because the nature of the course sounds so fun, don't expect to not do any real work. There's a guy also, who had no idea what he was in for and I think he is regretting picking the course. If only he hadn't slept with another girl on the course then he could just whisk himself away easily. (that's another subject I can elaborate on later(not the sex bit, the making connections and relationships bit, jesus, can you imagine!?!?!?) well I suppose it is a reason and is definitely something you need to think about when you et onto the course(that'll be another post I think)) I spend around 5 hours a week on my course work and I'm trying to the bare minimum, ish. Of course there will be assessments along with the coursework but at the end of the day, if you didn't learn in school, coursework is the backbone of any UAL or BTECH qualification.

  • Have fun with it! I bought some new stationary and notebooks that I knew I would need but I didn't break the bank with Jack wills and Kath Kidston stuff. After spending sometime looking around I managed to buy some quality things over a space of a couple of months before things got expensive or sold out. And don't go thinking you wont need stationary. You'll need to write notes on performances and draw diagrams of stage configuration or the larynx (my particular favourite! *smirky winky face emoji*)

  • Don't go wasting tonnes of money on new college clothes. For me, the college is hopefully providing us with a hoodie and t-shirt but despite that, we wear black every day. Yes for a fellow colour lover it can be quite depressing but I do suppose black is slimming. Don't go buying things are a god awfully expensive because to be honest, I spent most of my first week rolling around on the floor. The best things to wear are cheap black (obviously lottie, duh) sports leggings with a black t-shirt for acting. I also prefer black leggings and a black sports top for dance too. And definitely don't forget a sports bra. Now I am not specifically blessed in the boob department but I can definitely vouch that dancing about in a normal bra is SO UNCOMFORTABLE. Just accept the fact that your boobs will look even smaller (than they already are for me)
I thought I'd bless you with a beaut pic of my new and cheap stationary. As you all know, if something isn't ridiculously cheap or in a sale, Lottie ain't buying it.



Comments

Popular Posts